As the calendar gets ready to roll over to a whole new year we are all trying to decide what our New Year’s resolutions will be…and which we will stick to come February. I love this time of year because it reinforces the fact that we can all change and improve. The key to resolutions is of course, sticking to them. New diets, new exercise routines, promises to ourselves that are oh so difficult to keep, especially early in the morning if that is gym time, or that late afternoon “hangry”time.
I’d like to suggest along with your personal resolutions, that we make some homeowner resolutions as well. We can all probably be better homeowners, which we will be happy about when it is time to sell.
5 Resolutions for Homeowners
- Lose the weight, reduce your stuff. If you have been living in your home for any length of time chances are you have more junk than you even want to think about. It is time to get rid of it. Lots of it. I know it is difficult. And often emotional. But it is much easier and better to do this before you have to do this, like when you are moving, or putting your home on the market. Go through it, organize it, and get rid of most of it. Donate it to your favorite charity and get a receipt.
- Fix it. We all have things that need to be fixed, but we live with them anyway. The gate that doesn’t latch, the toilet that runs unless you shake the handle, the light fixture with two out of three bulbs burned out. Let’s fix them. We can do it ourselves with a how to on YouTube….or make a list and hire a handyman. (let me know if you need a referral)
- Plan to upgrade your landscaping as spring and the perfect planting time comes upon us. Are the hibiscus just not getting enough sun to look healthy? Is that Jacaranda tree at the end of it’s life span? Are the sprinklers hitting the side of your house, or your wall? Can you add some potted plants into your drip system? How about lighting? Maybe it is time to start your own garden….for veggies for those personal resolutions.
- Upgrade or update something. Take a hard look at your home and your budget. Do you have any money you could put towards your home? If it needs repairs, those come first…but after that, is it time to maybe update your light fixtures? Or maybe your door knobs. A new coat of paint can really freshen things up. Or maybe it is time to do something bigger…like a bathroom. If you are considering selling in the near future, feel free to call me and have me walk your home with you so we can discuss the smartest things to upgrade that will get you the most return on your investment.
- Make your home a “smart” home. Every buyer will love an Alexa enabled appliance…and this is the way of the future. Keep it in mind and incorporate it into your home as you update and upgrade. If you can control it remotely (think thermostat, appliances, even your lighting when you’re out of town) then it will be a wow factor when selling your home.
Home ownership is one of the best financial decisions you have made, so be a good homeowner. Keeping your home’s value in mind throughout the year will put money in your pocket when it is time to sell….even if that won’t be in the foreseeable future. Take care of your investment, and your home. Your home will appreciate it, and it is my bet that you will be happy as well. If you need any advice or referrals, you know where to find me!